On April 15, 2008 we closed on a 1955 Mid-Century Modern home in Merriam, KS that was custom designed by the late Donald R. Hollis of Hollis + Miller Architects. We will be sharing our journey as we update the house to make it our own, while trying to stay as close to the original design as possible.

Monday, September 13, 2010

It has been a busy couple of weeks

Our Toto Aquia toilet came in right on schedule, but given the limited space in our tiny bathroom we figured we would wait to install it after the shower glass wall was installed.  Unfortunately, the installer called us a few days before our originally scheduled date to reschedule.  The glass they had received had a huge scratch right down the middle, and he had to send it back.   So Friday they finally installed it.

The tile we ordered for our backsplash arrived pretty quickly, and we installed it in less than a couple of hours on the Friday before Labor Day.

Since we had to delay the demolition work of our hall bathroom, we decided to take a trip to Ikea.  Phoenix needed a new dog house, unfortunately Snoopy was not interested in selling.

The real reason for our trip was to check out their cabinets.  We really liked their Solar Beech line, but they discontinued them!  Unfortunately, their other cabinets wouldn't work for us.  Unless we find something we both like, we might just have to go custom.  It wasn't a total wasted trip, however, we did pick up some items at Ikea and a Saarinen side table top from the Room and Board Outlet.  Phoenix also got to go on her first official long road trip (other than when we first picked her up in Ohio).  While we were there, her big sisters gave her a tour of the Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge.

On Labor Day, we spent a couple of hours grouting the backsplash.  And I sealed the grout yesterday.

Although our shower glass got installed last Friday, we had to allow 48 hours for the silicone to cure.

On Saturday LD and Katy commemorated September 11th by spending the afternoon and evening participating on a joint search scenario training (both Canine and Tech Search).

Yesterday, we finally got a chance to install the toilet.  The hardest part of the install was drilling the holes in the slate.  I could not locate the diamond drill bit we had purchased, so after spending nearly an hour looking for it I drove to Home Depot and bought another one.  Once LD managed to tap the screw anchors into the holes, it was relatively easy.

We finally have a fully functioning bathroom, and now we can start with the demo of our hallway bathroom.  Maybe we can get started this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment