ROBIN HOOD'S HIDEAWAY

On April 15, 2008 we closed on a 1955 Mid-Century Modern home in Merriam, KS that was custom designed by the late Donald R. Hollis of Hollis + Miller Architects. We will be sharing our journey as we update the house to make it our own, while trying to stay as close to the original design as possible.

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Stained concrete floors

I must have been 7 years old when my dad drove us out to my Tio Alfonso's house to check out his new driveway.  My eyes just about popped out of my sockets when I saw his new red driveway.  I had no idea that concrete could be another color besides gray.  You can just imagine my excitement when I started seeing stained concrete floors in restaurants and other commercial applications.  

After contemplating various floor options, we decided that stained concrete floors would be the best solution for our basement.  When we shared our plans to stain the concrete with our realtor she thought we were out of our mind.  She tried to dissuade us by telling us how sorry we would be in the winter time when the floor was cold.  Well we thought we had the answer, we would put in a radiant floor system.  After discussing our plans with some concrete contractors, however, we soon realized that retrofitting an old concrete floor was way out of our budget.  So we decided to buy some slippers and get them stained anyways.  We hired Paul Bowser with Artistic Concrete Coatings.  The process was not pretty, there was dust everywhere (it was a good thing we were not living there).  But we are quite happy with the finished look so far. 






No comments:

Post a Comment