ROBIN HOOD'S HIDEAWAY

On April 15, 2008 we closed on a 1955 Mid-Century Modern home in Merriam, KS that was custom designed by the late Donald R. Hollis of Hollis + Miller Architects. We will be sharing our journey as we update the house to make it our own, while trying to stay as close to the original design as possible.

Saturday, December 27, 2008

The beginning of our great adventure



I kept getting bugged about documenting the remodeling of our house, so today I decided that I would go ahead and start blogging about it.   

Our adventure started back on a cold Sunday, December 2, 2007, when we decided to drive by a house I had seen on the MLS listings.  The realtor's pictures were less than spectacular, but it was described as having a large yard so we decided to just drive by.  The house had no curb appeal, had it not been for the fact that there was an open house we would have never stopped.  The minute I walked into the house, however, I was sold.   You know when people tell you that you should not judge a book by its cover, well, this house fit that!  But you also had to look past the dirty worn out carpet that looked like it had been there for over fifty years, the retro wallpaper, the loose asbestos tiles, the painted outlets and switches, etc...  In a nutshell, I fell in love with the bones of the house.  

No comments:

Post a Comment