ROBIN HOOD'S HIDEAWAY

On April 15, 2008 we closed on a 1955 Mid-Century Modern home in Merriam, KS that was custom designed by the late Donald R. Hollis of Hollis + Miller Architects. We will be sharing our journey as we update the house to make it our own, while trying to stay as close to the original design as possible.

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Now this is a Coffee Table!

Last weekend, I found a coffee table that I would want for the family room!!!  It's an A.M. Stock Grand Server.  


This model was showcased at the 1963 World's Fair in New York City as an example of modern furniture.


The top swivels open, and you'll find a bottle holder, pull it up and lock it into place at table height.  


When you finish entertaining, you unlock the center tray, slide it down and then slide the top closed.



Oh and the "fabric" covering the mid-section was still pretty cool and applicable to today.


This is one of those times where I wish I had mad carpentry skills to build my own.  The two things I did not like about the original Grand Server is that it's laminated and has brass casters, but mostly that it's laminated particle wood.  

If I were to build it, I would:

1.  have a really light/almost white wood for the table tops;
2.  make it larger;
3.  have dark wood for the cocktail tray;
4.  change the mid-section to acrylic plant panels; and
5.  install stainless steel casters.

Hmmm, is this a future project for me?  I'll think about it.  Regardless, this is a great example of form and function.

No comments:

Post a Comment