ROBIN HOOD'S HIDEAWAY

On April 15, 2008 we closed on a 1955 Mid-Century Modern home in Merriam, KS that was custom designed by the late Donald R. Hollis of Hollis + Miller Architects. We will be sharing our journey as we update the house to make it our own, while trying to stay as close to the original design as possible.

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Busy Weekend

We had a very productive weekend.  We started off with stripping the rest of the cabinets.  However, we did take a break yesterday to attend the Studio 804 Open House (thanks to KC Modern for giving us the heads up).  I was looking forward to attending it all week, so were a million others!  


I also took some time to finally drop off my car at Uhaul to the have the trailer light harness checked.  The last two times we rented a trailer, my lights were not "connecting" with the trailer lights.  With our upcoming trip to Ikea, I wanted to make sure that the light harness was working.  It turned out that there was nothing wrong with my wiring.  So the trailer's lights that I had been renting was the problem all along.  

Last month "DMS" left a comment stating that Donald Hollis' (architect of our home) house in Overland Park was up for sale.  In her comment, she stated that the house needed more work than she and her husband could do.  After dropping off my car at Uhaul, LD decided to drive by the house to see if it was still on the market.  It was, so we stopped, and did what any curious person would do-we peeked through the windows.  The house was in horrific condition!!!  Seeing the house in that condition really broke my heart.  It really does need a lot of work, but the location and lot are nice.  If anyone is up for a challenge, the address is 7642 Hemlock, Overland Park, KS.  I tried searching for it in the MLS Listings, but I could not find it.  It is being sold by an independent real estate agent, but I didn't pay attention to the name because I figured it would be listed.

As of 4:36pm today, all of the cabinets have been stripped!!  HOORAY!!!!  I wish we could say that we sanded everything, but we have 7 doors and the cabinet frames (along the wall) yet to sand.  LD has already promised herself that she will never strip and sand kitchen cabinets ever again!!  However, I can't make that same statement.  LD forgets that there are still 3 built-in
 cabinets that still have to be stripped-sanded-stained-etc!!  But those will wait for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment